Why we need to delete GPT protective partition?
In Windows XP Professional, you cannot access or modify GPT disk, but you can convert a GPT disk to MBR by using the clean command in DiskPart, which will delete GPT protective partition and remove all data and partition structures from the disk.
Warning: The steps below will erase all data on the GPT disk, please backup your data first.
- You might see HD Drive in GPT status on Disk Management.
- Go to DOS command line (click on "Start Menu", then "Run", type in "cmd" in textbox, and hit "OK")
- Type in "DiskPart" in command line.
- Type in "list disk" in command line to show all disks in this machine.
- Use "select" to set the focus to the specified partition.
For example "select disk 1".
- Use "clean" command to remove GPT disk from the current in-focus disk by zeroing sectors.
- Go back to Disk Management, you can see GPT disk is "Not Initialized" now.
- Within Disk Management, right click on disk info, choose "Initialize Disk", You can see GPT disk is "Unallocated" now.
- Right click on disk info, choose "New Partition…", follow Partition Wizard and format it. Now you are able to use the disk in Windows XP.